1871 J. B. Flower, R. A. Cameron and James F. Benedict
opened the second bank in Greeley. General Cameron
was a member of committee who located and purchased
the land for the Union Colony.
drawn on Bank office of Flower, Cameron & Benedict
dated June 27, 1874. Interest paid documented on reverse.(Acc
#81.66.04 Archives, City of Greeley Museums.)
bank was reorganized into the Union Bank on March
31, 1877 by Daniel Hawks, James F. Benedict, William
F. Thompson, Bruce F. Johnson, Theodore Irgalsbe,
J. M. Bush and Silas S. Kennedy. It was incorporated
with a capital of $40,000. At that time it was housed
in a small structure. The Union Bank building burned,
April 4, 1883 and did business for one day at the
Emerson and West bank, after which they built another
building on the same site. Bruce F. Johnson served
as president during the first ten plus years. James
F. Benedict was a long time cashier until he resigned
to serve the Cleveland administration(Cleveland 1885-1897).
He was succeeded by George Adams.
In 1888 the Union Bank Building was built. It was
a two story structure with a corner entrance as shown
on the postcard. It held various shops along 8th Avenue;
lawyers and dentists occupied the upstairs offices.
D. Harper who helped organize the First National Bank
of Greeley in 1884 and was its first cashier for a
number of years and later its President severed his
connection with the First National Bank and went into
the Union Bank as cashier. He later served as president
of the Union Bank.
the bank renewed its charter in 1897 with a capital
of $50,000, its president was Jesse S. Gale, a successful
cattleman of the area.
the leadership of Brainard D. Harper, president, it
acquired national status by 1905 as the Union National
Bank, charter number 7604. In 1914 it was merged with
the City National Bank. However, it retained the name
of he Union National Bank. By 1918 it had over $1
million in deposits.
remodeling of the building was done in 1921. Part
of the present basement was dug and the main floor
was brought down to ground level. Banking quarters
were enlarged and an elaborate plaster work ceiling
was put in by hand. The exterior was covered with
cream-colored terra cotta around the windows. The
corner entrance was replaced by a side entrance on
enlarged banking quarters took up all of the previous
space except for the Western Union office in the northeast
corner of the building. Additional office space was
added to the second story.
this remodeling the bank headquarters were temporarily
moved to the old City National Bank building located
one block north on the corner of 8th Avenue and 7th
Union National Bank of Greeley, 1902 PB $20
notes from the Union National Bank of Greeley, charter
number 7604 are listed as rare (6 large size notes
are known). Over the past eight years three of the
Union National Bank notes were auctioned by Currency
Auctions of America in 1997 and 1998. A fourth note
is in a promoment Colorado collection. The other two
reported notes have not come on the market. The bank
issued $10 and $20 third charter, red seal, date back,
and plain back notes.
|Known Notes National
Bank Notes, CD
|Union National Bank
|Brainard D. Harper
||1905 - ?
|T. C. Phillips
||? - 1926
|Brainard D. Harper
March 22, 1926 the Union National Bank and the Greeley
National Bank merged. The merged bank, The Greeley
Union National Bank, Greeley, assumed responsibility
for the outstanding currency. The earlier Greeley
National bank charter, #4437 was assumed. The total
amount of outstanding notes in 1926 was $74,000 that
included notes from charter #7604 and #10038.